The Computer Science Club provides hosting to other clubs free of charge. We host many club web sites and mailing lists. If you have a question about our hosting service, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our office in MC 3015.
- 2 GB web space
- PHP (fastcgi)
- Perl (mod_perl)
- Python (mod_python)
- Ruby (fastcgi)
This is not an exhaustive list. Contact if you want something not listed.
To get hosted, you need:
- a club account
- one user account for each person who will be updating the club's web site or other files
Each club we host has a "club account" that owns and stores club resources. You can request a club account via email or in person. The club account:
- Is named after the club, possibly abbreviated.
- Has a home directory named /users/clubname, where club files are stored.
- Is not permitted to login. You must use your own user account to login.
Anyone with office staff or greater privileges may create club accounts using [CEO].
Each user who needs access to the club account must have his/her own user account on our machines. There are two ways to get an account:
- Become a member of the Computer Science Club. Membership is $2.00 per term.
- Request a free "club representative" account. These accounts are to be used soley for managing the club account, and expire at the end of the term.
In both cases, you must come to MC 3015 in person for initial registration. Club representatives can request renewal of their free accounts if they still need the account in future terms. Renewal can be done in person or via email.
You won't be able to change club files unless you are a member of the club's "club group".
Your user account must also be authorized to change club files. Each club has a "club group" whose members may update the clubs files. We add users to the group upon request, or when we're setting up the club account.
Anyone with office staff or greater privileges may create both of the above types of accounts using [CEO]. Currently, only systems committee may add users to club groups.
Accessing Club Resources
At this point, you have a user account and a club account, and need to get started with your web site. Before you can do anything, you need to log into our machines somehow. You can
- Log in using a terminal in the office
- Log in from anywhere using SSH. Our web server is caffeine.csclub.uwaterloo.ca.
The club's files are stored in /users/clubname.
If you want, you can become the club user by typing "become_club clubname". This is not usually necessary, as the permissions usually allow you to make changes as yourself.
The /users/clubname/www directory is accessible via the web at http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~clubname. This is set up by default and requires no special configuration.
If you want a domain of the form clubname.uwaterloo.ca, you can request this via email. You can also use your own domain (e.g. club.org), if you purchase it yourself.
We can set up GNU mailman for you upon request.