Notes for Future Librarians
The Library system
You can access this by typing "librarian" in the command line, or by selecting "Library" inside of ceo. It is completely independent of ceo, or any of its parts.
Its repository is in /users/git/public/library.git/
I hope that using the library system will be intuitive. If it is not, contact fbauckho. Just try to avoid resizing your terminal while it is running.
Why can't you sign out books from inside the book browser?
The signout process works like this: You look at the first page of the book that is going to be signed out, figure out the "CSC id", and input it into the sign-out dialogue.
While for the purpose of figuring out the CSC id, you could easily bypass the looking-at-the-book part, this doesn't make sense, because in order to sign out a book, you need the book you are planning to sign out.
Similarly, when returning a book, you should have the book in your hands, so you can easily find out the CSC id.
Things you should do every term
- get added to the group "libcom", if you're new
- hunt down people with signed out books before they disappear forever
Things that need to be done right now
- The new books need to be stickered
- We should try to think of some rule of thumb about how expensive books have to be in order to get stickered
- We should think about some policy how many books people are allowed to sign out for which amount of time
- Contrary to how the Wishlist page looks, we *don't* need to get new books right now.
- We need to throw away/donate/stash books as soon as possible. The proper procedure for this seems to be to announce a list of books that are going to disappear, and then to see if anybody objects, but I (fbauckho) have been too weak-willed to do that yet
- Speaking of books to get rid of, some guy (satalha) wanted one copy of The C Programming Language. He signed one out, so if we decide to donate it to him, we should notify him that he can have it, and otherwise, we should tell him to give it back.
- There are some changes in the repository I made that should make the library system slightly better for the librarian. We should use Debian-Voodoo to install them, and then write how this works.