Jump to navigation Jump to search
Setting up CUPS, the printing subsystem
- Install cups.
- Go to http://localhost:631/. Go to 'Add Printer'. You may need to supply the root username/password.
- Click 'Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)'. CSC doesn't have any local printers, chances are all printers are connected via LAN. If it is LAN, then it is ipp.
- Enter connection, name, and description of the printer.
- Go to the Brother site and grab the cupswrapper and lpr drivers.
- Install the drivers with dpkg. You may need to use --force architecture on a 64-bit machine; don't worry, the package is actually arch-independent.
- Printer Connection: ipp://lp-mc3038.mathsoc.uwaterloo.ca/ipp
- Name: MathSoc
- Description: The colour printer in MathSoc. Printing is 10 cents per double-sided black and white sheet, and 30 cents per colour side.
- Brand: Brother
- Make: MFC 9770CDW
- Default options: make sure that Color is set to Mono and Two-sided printing is set to Long-edge.
- Printer Connection: ipp://print.cs.uwaterloo.ca/printers/ljp_3016
- Name: ljp_3016
- Description: Main Math Printers
- Location: MC 3016
- Brand: HP
- Make: LaserJet 4250 Foomatic/Postscript
- Default options: make sure that two-sided printing is set to long-edge
NOTE: If the brand/make is not available for selection, don't download any third-party drivers. These drivers are available in apt. Find them there.