Setting up CUPS, the printing subsystem
- Install cups.
- Go to http://localhost:631/. Go to 'Add Printer'. You may need to supply the root username/password.
- Click 'Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)'. CSC doesn't have any local printers, chances are all printers are connected via LAN. If it is LAN, then it is ipp.
- Enter connection, name, and description of the printer.
If there is a machine with printing already properly set up, you may copy the file /etc/cups/printers.conf to the corresponding location on machines that aren't set up. Ensure that you stop CUPS (sudo service cups stop) on the fresh machine before copying over printers.conf (and don't forget to start it again afterward).
MathSoc Printer (new)
The new MathSoc Printer is an HP LaserJet Pro MFP M476dn, and requires the HPLIP v3.14.4 drivers. This model is not supported by the default version of HPLIP in Ubuntu 14.04 (3.14.3); therefore, you will need to run the installation scripts.
- Go to the HP Linux Imaging and Printing site and download hplip, version >= 3.14.4.
- Follow the installation walkthrough; make sure you put the run script in /tmp to avoid NFS permissions problems. Then execute
- This will take a while and install all your dependencies.
- Now you should be able to add the printer through the Ubuntu GUI:
gksudo /usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.pyFollow the wizard step-by-step:
- Choose "Select Printer from Database", and select details:
- Brand: HP
- Make: Color LaserJet Pro MFP m476dn
- Fill in printer info:
- Name: MathSoc
- Description: The colour printer in MathSoc. Printing is 10 cents per double-sided black and white sheet, and 35 cents per colour side.
- Location: MC 3038
- Set default options: make sure that Job Options > print-color-mode: is set to monochrome and Printer Options > Two-sided: is set to Long-Edge Binding.
- Printer Connection:
- Name: ljp_3016
- Description: Main Math Printers
- Location: MC 3016
- Brand: HP
- Make: LaserJet 4250 Foomatic/Postscript
- Default options: make sure that two-sided printing is set to long-edge
NOTE: If the brand/make is not available for selection, don't download any third-party drivers. These drivers are available in apt. Find them there.