(Redirected from Friday 19 October 2007)
There was a general meeting held on Friday, October 19, 2007.
- Burning/Giving out linux distros
- ceo stuff, and signing up new members
- Answering random people's questions: SQL hosting, lending books out, upgrading to new Ubuntu, installing Ubuntu (on tablets?)
- What machines we own, their specs, what's installed on them, and their intended purposes
- Concerns/Ideas for making the CSC less hobo (Come with clear, planned out as much as possible, ideas, so we can get concrete plans for the term)
- Koha, and library stuff, this includes updating library, need book ideas...
- Do we still want to be an ACM Chapter? It seems it's an important thing for previous members, but not at all for current members. What are the pros and cons? (Cons include paperwork and paying dues)
- Online ceo front-end?
- Dumbterm vs. Smartterm
- What do we have in terms of visions and goals for the CSC? We are currently running one of the only two Stratum One NTP Servers in Canada; we are now also the official Canadian Ubuntu mirror, and considering running our own Tor Node. There are concerns over too much effort being spent on gratuitous slashdotting. The CSC may soon have a gigabit internet connection. If university official hobos are obstructive, we should get that solved somehow; in the meantime, we'll discuss how we're limited now, why, what we're planning to do about it, and what's probably going to happen.
- Relevant to above, can we plan something big-ish, that would make us super-awesome and semi-famous for a while and stuff? In addition to making the CSC awesome, it would also give us some clout, and we could actually get a little respect 'round here.
- Throw out cans and stuff after use, stop leaving it around, please try keep CSC clean
- Virtual machines for clubs
- gum-arabic and calum
Events this term
- Latest on Walter Bright and Michael Geist?
- We want Install-fest & Linux-Awareness Week, (especially considering new Ubuntu coming out). How exactly has it been run in the past, and how do we go about doing it this term? Are we getting the new Ubuntu CDs? When those come out would be a good time for Installfest etc.
- Same as above for Unix 101 / 102
- Anyone willing to organize programming contest?
- CSC project day?
- What the f*** do you guys want from MEF exactly? - Okay, I know, the 2 mirror machines--but we want details, and to make sure they're not hobo at all. We have more than enough hobo hardware, and need to move on to some quality machines now.
- Who should I ask for money? Sandvine, OpenText, the Mob, and your mom have been suggested, but ideas are welcome if anyone knows anyone specific in companies to contact.
- RIM will generously fund Walter Bright, but nothing else, need to disperse hardware among MEF and other ideas.
- Does anyone have good spatial reasoning and hand-eye co-ordination that could be put to use making a large, flashy poster to get us babes?
- Librarian Midnight Party 7pm Sunday?
- We're going to grab the old database from wherever and update it and figure stuff out.
- Let's sort our current books.